Saturday, May 29, 2010

Poor Tessie


Can you believe this perfectly healthy dog now has to take medication for life?

Poor Tessie is in the middle of a second bout of a bacterial skin infection in just two months. I will spare you a description of the symptoms. Let's just say, she needs a bath every couple days while this occurs because her skin starts to get that "doggy" smell way to quickly after a bath.
Lucky for me, Tess loves a shower. Literally, she actually loves to get one. All I have to do is take a pile of towels from a closet and open the shower door. She practically knocks me down when she rushes into the shower. It is amazing. And I hate that word, it is the most overused word in America, but it really is "amazing". Maybe it is because of all the baby talk she gets while in the shower or maybe, it is the massage, or maybe the warm water. But whatever it is, she seems to really like getting a shower.
Anyway, what Tess now has is low thyroid. The very smart vet tested her as a last resort as to why she was getting these staph infections. Smart doctor. Although, I did look it up on the internet and found that labs and retrievers, 4-6 years old, who have been neutered, get low thyroid the most of all dogs. Tess is a 5 year old, neutered, lab/retriever mix. So there you go. Right on target!

2 comments:

Candace said...

Oh poor Tessie! Give her a hug from me, Mary! I hope she takes the meds as well as she gets in the shower!
Cheers!

Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, poor baby. Hmmm I bet medicine isn't too bad if it's mixed with a meatball? Cute story about the shower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...