Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mug Rug



I used to put my coffee cup on a coaster. That's what I called it. But someone always comes up with a better name. Now it's a "Mug Rug" and I love that name. I made one today. It's bigger and better than just a plain old coaster. But it also took me a little longer to make. Here are the steps.



I cut 2" squares from three different color families, one from each of 24 fabrics. The photo shows the yellow squares only. I had already made the other blocks before I started this tutorial.

Then I made Half-Square triangles using my Stitching Lines.







I pressed the Half-Square triangles to the dark side. You could press them to the lighter side if you like.

I made the HST's larger than I needed, so then I squared them up to 1-1/2"

I placed the HST's where I wanted them.
The seam on the upper left square is pressed up, the seam on the upper right side is pressed down. the lower squares are opposite. Then everyone is happy and seams fit together nicely!


I sewed the HST's together and pressed them all in the same direction.

I made two identical blocks.

I sewed the two halves together.

And then I removed the last few stitches between first stitching line and cut edge.

I pressed half of the seam one way, and the other half the other direction.
Then I arranged how I wanted the blocks.

And sewed them all together.. Again I removed the last few stitches at each intersection, so I could press the seams all flat.
This photo shows all the seams going every which way. But it makes for a nice flat quilt top.

Here is the front side, all nice and trimmed and squared up.

I added a 1" cut border to the four sides.

I stacked up the three layers.... backing, batting and top.

I quilted it with a simple "Stitch in the Ditch".

Now it is bound and done.
Just big enough for a mug and some goodies.

1 comment:

Candace said...

These are so cool, Mary! Just what I need for my desk, and a great little last minute gift!
Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...